Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Relish11.7 - Surprise


We like to think no one knows who we are better than we do. I mean, we’ve lived with ourselves our whole lives, right? (Sometimes we might even like a break, but can’t seem to get one:)) But every once in a while we do something, or say something, or think something that catches us off guard, and we realize we just surprised ourselves. When did you surprise yourself this year? What happened?
Surprise


I surprised myself many times this year, when...

  • I went for, and stayed for The Alpha Course at a time when I was seriously considering dropping out of church altogether. And a couple weeks later, I started co-leading a post-Alpha program. 
  • I approached two sisters - now dear friends - whom I barely knew and asked them if they wanted to co-organise a very ambitious event in collaboration with Global Entrepreneurship Week and we planned CultureRun's Big Idea, roped in sponsors, speakers, and participants in under three weeks. 
  • I joined - and stayed in - the currently ongoing Your Big Year global competition. I've had to commit way more than I expected to when I first joined, but it's been such a learning process and I've had the opportunity to do things I never thought I'd do. 
  • I decided impulsively to climb Mount Kinabalu three weeks before, with no proper training (unless you count climbing 51 flights of stairs - once). I bought my plane tickets the day I decided, and there was no turning back, even when I only slept an hour at the midway point, and was feeling nauseous and dizzy as I completed the last leg of the climb. Made it all the way to the very highest peak!
  • I survived half a year in the corporate world, and looking back, it didn't really feel that long! 

And looking back, I realise those are achievements to be proud of. Especially when I know how far I've come from being a shy, nerdy, self-loathing tomboy who'd rather do anything than God forbid, talk to people. Who would've known I would actually find my niche in communications and writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment