Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Relish11.3 - Transit

Nowadays online marketers and those in the know will tell you that your time and attention are the new currency. That’s probably true. But what I’m thinking about is where did you spend the most  time this year PHYSICALLY? And why? If your attention is marketing gold, then surely your actual presence must say something about who you are as well. So where did you invest your time?

Transit

Some rights reserved by Ilja
I started the year in London. Since then, I've been back to university in Middlesbrough, Paris, back to Malaysia, started working in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, and up and down one of Southeast Asia's highest mountains, Mount Kinabalu. I've spent more time in trains, cars, and airplanes this year compared to any other year in my life. And while I'm hardly a jetsetter, I've done quite a bit of travelling by my standards this year.

And I guess this does reflect what 2011 has been for me - a year of transit. Much like waiting for trains and in departure lounges to be hurtled out into the new, exciting, and unfamiliar, this year has been filled with a lot of waiting, a lot of impatience, the occasional delay and setback, and ultimately, many, many new experiences. We all change as we grow up, but it feels like I've done more changing and stretching and growing this year than any other year before. I've been hurled out of my comfort zone again and again... and I've survived.

And I will keep traveling. I travel because life is motion, like a flowing river, always moving forward, and I travel to feel that motion, that rhythm, to hear my heartbeat pounding in my ears, to feel the rush of blood through my veins, to remind myself that I am alive.

I travel because if I have one life to live, I want to live it in the real world, not through a movie or a book or someone else's story. I want to watch the movie of my life unfold; I want to write and read the chapters of my own story.

It's been an amazing journey so far, but as all travel addicts will agree, once you get started, you can't stop! So here's to many more exciting new journeys ahead for 2012 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment