Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Feedly: An clean, simple alternative to Google Reader

Earlier this year, Google announced that they would be retiring Google Reader from service this July. Like many other avid readers, my first reaction was one of horror - where else would I access all my feeds in an aggregator as efficient and minimalist as Google Reader?

One of the popular aggregators at the moment is Flipboard, which is beautiful, yes, but it's designed primarily for mobile device use, and casual browsing, not to consolidate, tag, and archive a huge amount of feeds like Google Reader. It's visually-driven, which means slower loading times and a reading experience that doesn't quite cut it (you have to click out of the reader to read a long text post). I mostly use Google Reader for well, reading my news articles and blogs filled with lengthy reflections on life, so Flipboard just doesn't do it for me.

Feedly - where the minimalistic, sleek look of Flipboard meets the efficiency of Google Reader
And then I discovered Feedly while searching for alternatives on the Chrome Web Store. A straight-forward, no-fuss, simple feed reader that does for me what Google Reader does. It automatically migrates all my 100+ feed subscriptions to its reader, sorts out what I've read and what's new quite similarly to how Google Reader does, it allows you to tag / save for later individual posts, and has seamless sharing buttons for all the major social networking sites.

I am one happy camper now that I know my feeds have made the migration over to an equally capable aggregator. Also, I am so impressed that after automatically migrating all my feeds from Reader, Feedly intelligently sorted them based on their content into broad categories, placing my John Maxwell feeds under "Leadership and Development", for example, and all my food blogs under "Food & Living". Impressive.

Have I mentioned how clean and beautiful the Feedly interface is too?

No comments:

Post a Comment