Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Songs for the year-end


In the past 22 years of my life, I've approached different year-ends with different feelings each time round. The end of the year is always seen as a turning point, but depending on what season you are in, that turning point can be sometimes bittersweet, sometimes celebratory, sometimes sad, sometimes regretful.

Nevertheless, a turning point is usually always hopeful. It marks the start of better days ahead. It signals unknown possibility. It's a chance to leave the past behind - to move on from mistakes, guilt, or loss... or from resting too comfortably on laurels we've won - but to say, this is not the end, and to keep pressing on.

Along the way, in different seasons, I've been encouraged in different ways. One of the biggest things that moves my heart is music. Somehow the way lyrics are combined with melodies speaks so much more powerfully sometimes than the words alone.

So as the year draws to a close, I just thought I'd share a few songs that I've held incredibly close to my heart that have carried me, in different seasons, from one year into another. These songs have helped me reflect and realign as I've walked forward into a new season, and I hope they will do the same for you.

For a painful, question-filled year-end

Popout

Feels like I've been here forever
Why can't you just intervene
Do you see the tears keep falling?
And I'm falling apart at the seams

But you never said the road would be easy
But you said that you would never leave
And you never promised that this life wasn't hard
But you promised you'd take care of me

So I'll stop searching for the answers
I'll stop praying for an escape
And I'll trust you God with where I am
And believe you will have your way

Remind me you take broken things
And turn them into beautiful

// Britt Nicole

For a challenging, stormy year-end
Popout

So get out and let your fear fall to the ground
No time to waste, don't wait
Don't you turn around and miss out
Everything you were made for

So what are you waiting for?
What do you have to lose?
Your insecurities try to alter you
You know you're made for more
So don't be afraid to move
Your faith is all it takes
And you can walk on the water too

// Britt Nicole

For a grateful year-end

Popout

My Lord
What shall I sing Him for now
A song full of praise
From a mouth full of doubt
I lift up my face and I sing out loud
With all my mistakes I still make Him proud

He paid it all for me
Carried that cross for you
On that rugged walk
He knew What He had to do
Opened His arms up wide
Invited the world inside
One final breath
He conquered death
For me and for you

// Brandon Heath

For an anticipation-filled year-end

Popout

It's time to dream big dreams
To see Your vision become reality
Cause it's for You, by You
Those who love You want to do something so big
It's destined to fail without You, Lord
It's gonna fail without You, Lord
Something so great
It takes a miracle to do
We, Your children
Want to do something big for You

// John Waller

For a conflict-filled year-end
Popout

Welcome to the fallout
Welcome to resistance
The tension is here
Tension is here
Between who you are and who you could be
Between how it is and how it should be

I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor

Maybe redemption has stories to tell
Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell

// Switchfoot

For a soul-searching year-end

Popout

You know whenever I try I want to get it right
But I distract my focus and blur my own sight
'Cause I've convinced myself that my best can only come in the moonlight
And I keep sleeping in
And missing something

There are things about me I just can't ignore
I know I want to change and I see that door
On the other side daylight decides there will be war with sleeping in
And I've been saying "no" for far too long
Even though something brand new is coming out of me

I always knew that I was missing something
I know this time that I will leave nothing up to chance
And in the wake of this brand new day I see the light
and I feel the sun and I'll do it all again tomorrow

// Mae

For every year-end

Popout

All of my life
In every season
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

No comments:

Post a Comment