Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Apprendre le français


Bonjour à tous!

To keep myself motivated to lee-arhn (I always imagine words with 'r's in them like 'learn' being said with a French accent now), I will attempt to report regularly on my progress.

It is very much more motivating when there's someone learning alongside with you and someone fluent in the language to guide you and to practice with. I am très lucky to have both.

The start of learning something new is always the hardest right? Unsurprisingly my biggest challenges arheirre ze arheirres (or how I imagine a French person saying "are the 'r's" in my head). It takes lots of practice. And then there are the masculine and feminine pronouns and articles. Dear Lord.

Still, despite the challenges the language continues to fascinate me. Every new little nugget of French I learn is as delightful to my hunger to learn French as a macaroon is to my sweet tooth cravings. (Sigh I miss macaroons.)

So far, I've learned the basic nombres, am still figuring out when to use 'je' and 'moi', and 'tu' and 'vous', and barely getting a start at familiarizing myself with whether common nouns are masculine / feminine.

I'm also trying to learn useful / random phrases.

But so far all I can confidently say that is very useful (besides the usual salutations and greetings) is "Ravi de te rencontrer" (It's nice to meet you) and "Merci beaucoup" (Thank you very much).

I also discovered the phrase "l'heure bleue" - or "the blue hour", referring to twilight, which I think makes twilight sound just about a hundred times more romantic but can hardly see as being a very useful phrase for an amateur speaker of French.

I know random words like "le garçon" (boy), "la fille" (girl), "l'histoire" (story), "le morceau" (a piece), and "le fromage" (cheese) but without knowing how to form a sentence with them (YET!) they are not very useful. (Of course one of the very first words I learned  (mum don't read this), like anyone learning a foreign language, was a swear word, but I shall not retype it here.)

Well. It's a start. Progress will be made in weeks to come with the help of YouTube, Rocket French, and Skype calls with a native French speaker!

Till then, à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment