Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Song of the month: Just A Kiss by Lady Antebellum



This has to be one of the rawest, most honest love songs I've ever heard - and its music video, breathtaking. (Okay I admit my opinions are largely due to the fact that it's set in Paris and features two backpacking travelers who have a chance encounter with each other.)

But the lyrics are the life of this song and capture perfectly the uncertainty and hesitancy in the early stages of falling for someone.

lyin’ here with you so close to me
it’s hard to fight these feelings when it feels so hard to breathe
caught up in this moment
caught up in your smile

i’ve never opened up to anyone
so hard to hold back when i’m holding you in my arms
we don’t need to rush this
let’s just take this slow

I don't know about you, but my natural instinct is to rush into what I see as good things. "As soon as possible" is usually the best answer to the question of "When?", when it comes to what I want. After all, if it's a good thing, why wait, right? 

Or so I'd always thought. But I think for most, there will come a time when something comes your way and suddenly you realize this isn't something you want to hurry or rush into - but to take as slowly and handle with as much care as possible, because you're so afraid that one wrong move could mess it up. 

just a kiss on your lips in the moonlight
just a touch in the fire burning so bright
and i don’t want to mess this thing up
i don’t want to push too far
just a shot in the dark that you just might
be the one i’ve been waiting for my whole life
so baby i’m alright, with just a kiss goodnight

Instead of asking how much you can get out of this - you find yourself asking, how little can I get by on, if just to make this thing last longer?

i know that if we give this a little time
it will only bring us closer to the love we wanna find
it’s never felt so real, no it’s never felt so right

You find yourself willing to wait if the circumstances demand it, willing to spend a lot of time apart from what you really want - believing that when you get it, it will be everything you hoped it would be. 

no i don’t want to say goodnight
i know it’s time to leave, but you’ll be in my dreams tonight

so baby i’m alright, oh, let’s do this right, with just a kiss goodnight

And maybe, maybe you realize that falling for someone (these days, I'm so hesitant to even use the word 'love' flippantly) is not about how far you can go or how much you can get from the other person, but it's about something to hope for, something to hold on to, something to cherish and nurture and protect - for the long haul. Even if it means holding back your instincts and what you want, for now

It's about finding something that makes it not easy, but okay, to be patient for. Because it's that worth it. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey sweetie, why no more KL Chicks?
    panic looking for it..

    LRT handsome.

    ReplyDelete