Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

You are not an island

I am (reluctantly) getting to the end of Chuck Season 5, and after watching Ep. 8 (Chuck vs. The Baby), I am reminded about what draws me to the series. The series starts out with Sarah being this tough-as-nails, hardcore, self-made, independent woman and as we get to know her better, we discover pieces of her past that's made her who she is today - someone who doesn't depend on anyone and trusts only her instinct.

Except that meeting Chuck would change her life forever. The cold-blooded spy / assassin falls in love with a clueless yet endearingly earnest geek and somehow he manages to get past all her layers of defense and get close enough to her that she cannot imagine life without him. She lets her guard down, allows herself to be vulnerable, and repeatedly risks her life for Chuck. 

Yet even after all they've been through together, when it comes to a past that comes back to haunt her, Sarah is still unable to be completely 100% honest with Chuck. She still feels the need to 'fix' things on her own - which her enemy uses against her. There's a scene in that episode where he tells her that she's never learned - even though she has a team, she still chooses to fight her battles alone and isolate herself from anyone who could back her up.

End of the day, without spoiling the plot, Chuck refuses to let her get away with hiding things from him and pursues her, and together with the team they save her. She realises she does need others to depend on and she actually wants to be able to trust and depend on others, especially Chuck.

It's been a really timely watch as this week I've been feeling a little overwhelmed with just... living. And feeling like I can't tell others because it'll just be dumping a huge load of emotions on them and burdening them with my little problems and worries. And I struggle to let myself lean on others when I'm feeling this way and instead often just try to figure things out alone.

I was reminded by this episode and the most heartfelt poem from the sweetest boyfriend ever that I do have people to lean on. And people in the office have been reaching out to me and generously offering advice, time, and help in finding my way around as I embark on a new project at work - without me even deliberately seeking it out.

Lately I've been repeatedly told, "Don't try to do everything on your own. If you need help ask, ask ask."

And I've been feeling incredibly blessed to be surrounded by so many amazing, passionate, big-hearted, generous people. Just half a year ago, I was desperately needing to be reminded that there were good people in the world... things have changed since.

I've been reminded that there are good people willing to lend a helping hand or listening ear when life gets overwhelming. Sometimes we just need to brush aside our discomfort or shyness and just ask.

We're not meant to do life alone. We go so much further, and see things so much clearer, when we learn to depend on others and tap into their strengths and insights while sharing our own.

"We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants. We see more, and things that are more distant, than they did, not because our sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours." -St. John of Salisbury

No comments:

Post a Comment