Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

We all have something to give

I remember listening to people say that God would drop words in their hearts to say certain things to certain people. And it would be so timely, so exactly what those people needed to hear. For the longest time, I thought I must not be listening hard enough, else I would hear God the same way.

For the longest time, I compared myself to others and thought that I had to do certain things a certain way to be successful, to be considered a 'good person', to make a difference in the world. I struggled with believing that I had something to offer just by being who I am.

Today, two different people told me they were encouraged by simple little notes I'd dropped them, and that it was so timely for what they were going through. And I was reminded once again that although I may not have the same gifts as others, such as the gift to speak directly into people's lives - I still have something to offer, in a different way. I'd long took my writing for granted because it came so naturally to me - but I've realised my writing is my gift I can offer to the world.

Tomorrow morning, I set off to a land halfway across the world from where I am - wondering how I got here and what I have to offer. But although it may not be much, I'm willing to give whatever I have - trusting that He will use it in a special, unique way. He will multiply the little I have and turn it into something much bigger than I would ever have to offer on my own.

Stop comparing yourself to others. Your gift might not be as 'obvious' or prominent as others, but we all have something to give. Even if it's little notes that make someone's day.

So whatever your gift is, give it. Compose that song. Write that killer copysheet. Draw up that crazy, daring, but absolutely revolutionary strategy. Make that pitch. Ask that person out to lunch. Smile at that stranger. Paint that picture. Code that program. Lead that group. Start-up that project.

Don't waste your time and deprive the world of your gift by trying to be anyone or anything other than yourself.

“We know only too well that what we are doing is nothing more than a drop in the ocean. But if the drop were not there, the ocean would be missing something.” -Mother Teresa

2 comments:

  1. Well written! Thank you for yr encouragement and I will pass on to my daughter for her to read so that she gets encouraged too!! Thank you and praise God for who He has made you to be... Take care & God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete