Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Today, I run because I love



Today, I run because I love running. Not always in a 'running makes me feel amazing!' kind of way, but in an 'I know this is good for me, and so even though sometimes it hurts, I trust that it will make me better' kind of way.

I don't think I was looking to fall in love with running. I don't think anyone who falls in love with anything (or anyone for that matter) goes out looking to see if this is something they could fall in love with. Just like how love often happens, just like it finds you more than you really find it, running found me.

And I didn't just fall in love with running - it has also taught me how to love better.

A year and a half ago, I couldn't run 5km to save my life. Today, I set a new record for the furthest distance I ran on my own. A year ago, if you told me I'd have the discipline to wake up before the sun rises, drive out to the highway, and run 14km straight, I would have doubted myself. In fact, I wondered if I actually had the mental energy to keep running through those kilometers.

To me, love is a lot like that. Sometimes I wonder how I will find the strength and courage to love fearlessly and selflessly, but when I take that first step I find that I'm capable of more than I thought.

Today as I ran, I tried my best to keep a steady pace, but just as there were ups and downs in the route, there were dips and peaks in my pacing. But I know I'm a better runner today than I was when I started, and that's what keeps me going, be it in running, or in learning to love people. There will be highs and lows, there will be days you wake up and just don't feel up to it, but you keep doing it, because you know that the satisfaction at the end of the journey will be so worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment