Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Brunch @ The Bee, Jaya One


The following is not a sponsored review.

One of the very first things that was in order after returning from the UK was of course, catch-up sessions with friends and good food. This of course, called for a venue providing not just tasty grub but also the perfect ambience for chilling out over lengthy conversations.

Thanks to @leviasher, I found just the place for such occasions - The Bee @ Jaya One, PJ.


Over a Caffe Mocha (RM8) and a Huevos Rancheros Wrap (RM17, including coffee / tea), I spent at least four hours catching up with childhood friends (two of whom I've literally known all my life and who were back from various places for the summer), talking everything from politics (according to a Swedish friend / kindred spirit, all Malaysians talk about is politics) to of course, laments of relationships and singlehood.

After 8 months in a predominantly tea-drinking nation (I'm sorry, but heavily sugared and artificially flavoured Starbucks is not coffee, my dear friends), it was so good to taste a proper cuppa, especially for a coffee aficionado like yours truly.


The Mexican-style wrap was filled with beef bacon, Mexican Rancheros beans, house-cured jalapeño chillies, fried egg, and melted cheese with parmesan, and served with sage potato hash on the side. The portion was just nice for me - not too much or too little, and the wrap was loaded with flavour but not too greasy.


We also indulged in a house special, Churros with Dolce le Leche (RM9), Spanish donut-like pastry served with extra thick caramel. The churros were slightly more crispy than previous ones I had tried elsewhere, and I would have preferred them slightly softer, but they went well with the caramel.

Service is fast and friendly, and the interior deco is artsy and creative - perfect for whiling away a lazy day with a bunch of good friends or even for catching up on work; nothing motivates quite like an inspiring working environment! And if this catch-up was anything to go by, then it will probably be the first of many more such sessions. So, I'll see you at The Bee soon!

Check out The Bee's website, like them on Facebook, or follow them on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I visited The Bee just this week but not for their food but for The Last Polka ice cream. It looked really cute and I found your reviews so will def be visiting for the food. Like you I've been in the UK forever and rediscovering KL:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know! Always nice to meet fellow foodies / Malaysians-who've-returned-from-abroad. :) I've only tried two flavours sadly but from your blog I see your on a mission to try all of them! Which are your favorites? Are you back in KL for good?

    ReplyDelete