Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

irresistible

yesterday, after a morning run in sentul park, just around the corner from where i work, i stopped by 7-11 to buy some groceries. as i walked into the store, freshly showered, i accidentally brushed past a woman, who quickly spun around. i expected her to glare at me, but instead she smiled, and hesitated, like she wanted to say something, but she didn't.

i smiled back and walked into the store. when i came back out, she was still there, waiting by the door, bursting to ask me something. she needs directions to somewhere, i thought.

but the question that came out (in cantonese - don't ask me how i understood it but somehow i did!) was, "what perfume do you use?"

caught off guard, i was like, "uh, whaat?"

"what brand of perfume do you use? you smell very nice."

"uh, i'm not using any perfume. i just took a shower."

"ohhhh."

"maybe it's my shampoo."

"what brand of shampoo do you use? it smells very nice!"

"uhhh... pantene?"

"oh, okay, thank you!"

as she walked away, i chuckled to myself. what a random encounter! i got into my car and drove on to work... and as i drove it hit me: what if not just my physical body - but my whole life - could smell that sweet, that fragrant that people can't help but ask what i'm using.

"what brand of values do you subscribe to?"

"what principles?"

"what disciplines and habits do you put yourself through that makes your life give off such an irresistible fragrance?"

those are the questions i want to be asked. i want my words, actions, choices to be so different, so uncommon, so refreshing, that people get curious. i want my life and every single thing i do to be a breath of fresh air that points back to God and how amazing he is.

"Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation—an aroma redolent with life." -2 Cor 2:15

No comments:

Post a Comment