Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The world is full of kindred souls

If you're wondering who on earth takes three days to watch a two-hour long movie, that would be yours truly.

I've been watching Eat, Pray, Love over the past two nights and I still have yet to finish it, though I definitely plan to tonight. :) 

A few days ago, I finished reading the book - which has taken me six months. Not because I don't have the time or the book is boring, but rather because it's jam-packed with beautiful, profound, powerful, goosebump-inducing insights, and I needed the time to slowly digest, savor, and internalize all of it. 

People tell me that when I write, I articulate feelings and thoughts they never found the words to express. Reading Elizabeth Gilbert I feel exactly the same way. I feel like I could have gone on exactly the same journey, had exactly the same thoughts, and learned exactly the same lessons. 

I felt almost reluctant to watch the movie to the end, because now that I was done with the book, finishing the movie as well would be like saying goodbye to Elizabeth Gilbert, whom I've come to see as a friend, sister, and fellow traveller / dreamer / writer / spiritual seeker. 

Then I stumbled across a beautiful blog, quite by accident - while Googling French phrases in preparation for my short escapade there in three days - that reassured me that there would always be someone out there living her life to its fullest to draw inspiration and strength from. 

I just had a quick skim through her blog before subscribing and bookmarking it for future reading pleasure, but here are a couple of quotes that made me go, "I know exactly what she's talking about!" and reminded me that the world is full of kindred spirits everywhere just waiting to be discovered. 

(Thank you, dharmagirl.)

Here's the magic of a fine meal: my imagination is fired, my idealism returns, hope triples, and my heart expands to include everyone and everything that had previously fallen aside with the daily grind of disillusionment. Eating well can be truly transformative, and I pledge myself to making everyday foods and moments so spiritually elevating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment