Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Things I wish someone had told me before I entered uni

1. Don't be afraid to talk to people who don't speak the same language you do. You'll find that some of the most genuine friends you will make are people you don't necessarily have fluent conversation with, because language barriers strip away the subtleties and complications of words, leaving you with the one universal language that is easy to understand and hard to use in a fake way - body language.

2. Join a club (or multiple clubs, if you wish). Don't think of membership fees as a waste of money - think of them as an investment into new friends, unforgettable memories, and a social circle that expands outside your housemates and classmates (whom you won't necessarily share a lot of interests in common with). Seriously, a club is your ticket out of a boring time at uni to actually having a life.

3. Be prepared for change. Your perspectives, habits, preferences, goals, and interests will have evolved and changed so much by the time you finish your course that you won't be the same person you were when you first entered uni. While you do have a choice in how you change and how much you change, you will find along the way that things are very different from what you expected them to be before you started uni. Try not to make predictive or assumptive statements or you might find yourself having to eat your words later. (Eg. I don't have trouble waking up normally; I will never miss a class because I overslept! OR I promise I will write every week! OR I'm sure I won't miss home that much. OR I won't find white guys attractive! - all statements I had to swallow over the last six months, by the way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment