Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Life is like a box of chocolates game


If life was a game, how do you play it?

Do you move through the levels, unlocking and acquiring new skills, weapons, power-ups, equipment, and health points that will help you through the more difficult stages to come?

Or do you take the shortcuts and secret portals that allow you to skip levels to advance to a level that you might not even be equipped to handle?

Looking at life through this analogy, I think I often do the latter. I'm quick to seize opportunities that present themselves to me... without considering if I really have what it takes to rise to the challenge.

And then I fight and struggle and claw my way to survive through that level... when I could have taken my time acquiring more skills and gear and rose to the challenge without feeling like I'm going to die or the 'Game Over' sign is going to flash soon.

I'm not sure if this is the best or healthiest way to approach life.

Everyone has their speed and approach to playing a game... everyone has a different storyline that they play to... why do we try to rush through the game instead of taking it at a pace we're comfortable with?

After all, most of the time, the fun is not even in reaching the end or winning - it's the enjoyment of playing the game itself.

Hm...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I like this analogy a lot. It reminds me that my roommate decided to play a game on an expert level.

    His reason was that he wanted a challenge. Now I don't know if he knew he's going to suffer but I find it ridiculously stupid for bragging rights. And every time he dies, he throws tantrums.

    But like you said, games are meant to be enjoyed and I like that idea a lot. Getting stress over games is totally not worth it =)

    ReplyDelete